This was a bizarre year that delivered a mix of stress and opportunities. I found new hobbies, new tricks for remote working, and new ways of...
Remote Work 2020 Hackathon: Branded Video Chat Software
What was the challenge/problem your team wanted to solve? Santa Claus was
What was the challenge/problem your team wanted to solve?
Santa Claus was exposed to COVID-19 via contact with an elf that tested positive. To reduce risk, Santa went into a mandatory two week quarantine.
To continue conversations with kids from the Nice List, Santa wanted his own video chat software branded with the North Pole™ official style guide.
What was your initial idea that you wanted to build?
We built a secured React portal with the following features:
- Live video/audio from Santa’s webcam (Chime)
- Live chat from Nice List kids who could ask Santa for toys (Chime)
- Ability to broadcast the production feed to television and cable (MediaLive)
- Ability for moderator to select kids to ask Santa directly via their own webcams on the live feed (Chime)
- Ability for moderator to host 1-1 screening video interviews with kids prior to promoting them to the production feed (Chime)
What were the top 1-2 obstacles you encountered?
- Kids that were approved to have live chat with Santa were sometimes dropped from the call, which may lead them to think they were demoted to the Naughty List.
- Chime SDK has a lot of features, and a lot of state management, which makes it challenging to grok within a 48 hour hackathon.
What were the top 1-2 wins/successes you had while working on the project?
- Chime is difficult to grok quickly, so thankfully their team has built some solid SAM templates to accelerate. We leaned in heavily to them.
- The React portal was visually fun and thematic.
What end product did you ultimately build?
Exactly what we set out to build!
What were the top 3 things you learned?
- SAM is really the way to go. Our prior hackathons were all CloudFormation but SAM really simplifies the process.
- Chime is a rich SDK that is difficult to quickly grok and we’d recommend developer onboarding time be added to schedules.
- Building feature rich video platforms isn’t as big a challenge as it seems, and companies can safely consider this option instead of using 3rd party products.