Mobile Traffic is Up
Mobile website traffic is up. While this is hardly news, as a small case study I'm posting findings from metaltoad.com (you can see the exact numbers in the tables below). Here's the most important information I gleaned from our mobile analysis:
- Mobile traffic for us is approaching 4% (By comparison for emmys.com it's 7.5%). This is a 3 fold increase from 12 months ago.
- Time on the site for a mobile user is about 1/3 of the time from a traditional web user, but average pageviews is only about 20% less then traditional. Are they consuming more content faster or just skimming?
- Mobile users are spending 20% less time on our site then last year (2010). Traditional web browsing time on site remains constant.
Looking back further into 2009, mobile traffic is virtually non-existent (0 visits) or Google Analytics didn't provide tracking for mobile clients.
I am predicting a significant uptick in mobile traffic this year, so we'll be investing in a more mobile friendly site. For us and for other business that are looking to tailor their sites to mobile traffic it's important that they are paying attention to:
- Where is the mobile traffic coming from?
- What are mobile users looking at?
I'll be posting more information on that and the exact makeup of our mobile traffic in a future post.
Feb 2011 Statistics for metaltoad.com
|Time on Site||0:23||1:10||-||-|
Feb 2010 Statistics for metaltoad.com
|Time on Site||0:29||1:10||-||-|